Thursday, September 13, 2007

Some interesting fact I gathered from Chowhound


Bonjour chez vous!


Sometimes when you browse on Chowhound, if you sift through all the anal-retentive holier-than-thou types - in French: psychorigides - who have scientifically proven that Italian espresso is not as good as whatever they can brew at home, you find some interesting tidbits.
Such as below:

[from a thread about bars open at 6 AM]

Del's Saloon on Santa Monica and Bundy. But if you are in the neighborhood I would choose the Gaslight. You'll often see the actor Patrick McGoohan (Braveheart, The Prisoner) there that early.

Blimey! First of all I always believed Patrick McGohan was still frozen in time and lived eternally in Portmeirion.
I had such a crush on him when I was 12! I was totally hooked up on The Prisoner*, one of the best TV series of all times (with the Avengers, the ones with Emma Peel). Well, there's no chance I'll be up that early to celebrity-spot my pre-teenage crush, plus I'm sure I will be heartbroken if I discover a puffy, preserved-in-gin-gimlet older gent. Plus he really is an older gent: 79 years old.

Plus, at 6 AM I'd rather have three espressos/espressi 'cause I am not a number, I am a free woman. I think my favorite espresso spot is not open that early anyway (on Larchmont, the Italian place/deli that's right next to the Leonidas chocolate store). But you can spot me there at more decent hours. Till then... Be seeing you!

* confidential to my DLC: hey Mike, could you ever get McGohan to star in one of your shows??? Please, please, please!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am actually shocked to learn that MacGoohan is still alive.

There is actually a 'Prisoner' remake in development somewhere. I'm always surprised that nobody really talks about how much the show 'Lost' owes to it. I still remember vividly the scene where Number Two (I think) takes off his ape mask, revealing another ape.

Frenchy but Chic! said...

BTW, speaking of British shows, have you seen Life on Mars? It's very good.